There's a little more to do on this one. Copper has an amazing range of colors. I think that's why I'm so drawn to these little bowls over and over again. They sit on an end table with glass votive candle holders inserted. I find my self staring at them all the time.

A few touch ups and some brighter brights. I'm happy with this one, the reference photo I took has been sitting on my desk for a while. Frankly, the photo is so striking that I had a lot of thoughts about whether to paint it or not.
I am particularly fond of the upper background area. In fact, the backgrounds of all of my paintings seem to be getting to the 'real' quality I'm leaning toward. Most all of my work to date has been intentionally very academic as I reacquaint myself with gooey media after years of doing architectural sketches and renderings with colored pencil and markers. I'm nearing the point of boredom with the academic approach. Expect some new explorations soon!!
I think that if my previous still life evoked hot late night jazz riffs, this one seems more in the mode of a Handel oboe or brass interlude in the Water Music Suites




These look great Kaylyn! There's a lot of subtle
ReplyDeletecolors that make up copper.
I have had a copper candle holder for many years' and you have inspired me to try my hand at painting it!
On another note.. I gild copper, it has a look
like a 'shiny penny', but I can tone it to look like an 'old brown penny' and that's what looks very cool. As a pictur frame, or as an art piece.
I've gilded & toned the copper, then painted on it with japans enamel. This looks very cool!
I should do one and blog it so you can see what I mean!
Gilding is fun!
fantastic! And you obviously keep them shined up.
ReplyDeleteI love that you take on light, reflection and refraction...
You are a whiz with the painting pencil!
such an interesting composition and the copper looks exactly right--! very impressive.
ReplyDelete...this is looking really wonderful ...i love copper too
ReplyDeletefantastic rendering.... it looks so realistic... great job
ReplyDeleteThanks to Bill and EB and Celeste and Jane and Christine for the very welcome positive feedback. You all know what working day to day in a studio talking to yourself can be like!!
ReplyDeleteI do like this piece, but for the rest of the week I'm going to be trying some other kinds of imagery. Will appreciate your honest feedback!!
Mmmmhhh the complimentary color deliciousness.. I see your point. And hear it!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful shiny metal surfaces! Well done! Love the music references, too.
ReplyDeleteWhen he was in high school, my son organized a brass quintet. Looking at these copper pots reminds me of days when my house was filled with the sound of horns. They were loud and wonderful and there was no escaping them. Not that I ever wanted to ...
I'm so pleased the the sound and musical reverences are finding resonance! This is really interesting to me.
ReplyDeletesyn·es·the·sia
a sensation produced in one modality when a stimulus is applied to another modality, as when the hearing of a certain sound induces the visualization of a certain color.
Kaylyn -- Glad to have discovered your two blogs. The copper studies are engaging, stimulating, and the gallery of common/uncommon objects equally. I'll be returning regularly.
ReplyDeleteAlan
It´s Awesome.
ReplyDelete