The Westminster Dog Show was on last week...and I was able to catch a bit of it. I always find it interesting and amusing and fortunately had a pencil and paper handy to catch some of the latest canine fur styling!

Drawing from TV can be a good exercise in very quickly seeing the lines and shapes and getting the essential information down. If you make good 'notes', you can work up a bit more detail during commercial breaks!
not sure who's showing whom!


The dog show...!!
ReplyDeleteThey are marvelous.
Thank you for your impression.. here and on my blog.
I'm pretty amazed that you can draw anything from the TV; these are great sketches!
ReplyDeleteI love the last sketch! You captured the energy and attitude of both the dog and the owner. A delight!
ReplyDeleteThese are really wonderful sketches. You could be an animator with your quick sense of movement and flow in your lines.
ReplyDeleteDang girl.... do you pause the show and sketch or are you doing this from memory after you get a glimpse at an image you want to capture? If it's the latter, you should go out and to some side work doing court sketches. $$$
ReplyDeleteThanks to all! I had fun doing this and it helped to alleviate the feeling that I was wasting time watching TV.
ReplyDeleteActually, Sheila, I've thought about court sketch work for years and have been looking into it. Unfortunately, there seems to be a smaller market since TV and Cameras are allowed in many trials. I don't pause the TV, didn't even think about being able to do that! I just look for the main lines and shapes and the one strong twist, line, or shadow that makes the 'pose'. Years of gesture drawing (many years ago) trained me to see the gist of something quickly. The untouched drawings are 10-15 second drawings. The ones with shading were touched up during the commercials.
This is a fantastic idea! Why didn't I think of that. I really love your sketches! I bet this is a lot of fun, now I must try it!
ReplyDeletereally great sketches. Especially the dog show! The gestures there are right on!
ReplyDeleteHa ha, hilarious sketch!! Like your yardstick piece a lot too.
ReplyDelete