My Studio class at the Lawrence Arts Center wrapped up yesterday. I never got the hang of working on a work in progress in class, so I brought in what I was working on for comment and spent the short 2 hours doing sketches of the studio gang. Some went better than others. I'm going back and fixing them up as I plan out my next paintings. Its kind of cathartic to take an older dry sketch and try smacking it into shape!
Class sketch with mud.
reworked sketch done in the studio.
These are great, Kaylyn. I like both the start and the finish. The figures are really nice, and they're usually the hardest part. Very nice.
ReplyDeleteWow... you have a lot of detail in the painting on the right. I thought it was a finished piece. I like it already!
ReplyDeleteThe reworked sketch really shows your thoughtful corrections of what wasn't on the mark with your first attempt. But, the first one has many things right. The sense of place is great in both!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the comments. I see some strength in the original in-class sketch...I can draw with confidence. What I'm REALLY good at, when dealing with gooey paint instead of a pencil, is making mud at an alarmingly consistent and fast pace!! I think perhaps using clean brushes for different colors and values might be a good thing after all!!
ReplyDeleteAnd Katherine, I'm glad you see the sense of place. The lofty air and light filled quality of the space is what drew me to do this sketch. Painting air is an interesting undertaking.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy both versions. There is always something about the "immediacy" of the first sketch that can't easily be replicated!* You did a good job of not getting fussy with the "reworked" version. * I like how the telephone poles in the looser version look like crucifixes!
ReplyDelete