Welcome to my studio, its kind of a mess and a work in progress itself. Its nice to see visitors from all over the world who drop in for a look.
Have a look around. MAKE COMMENTS (?) , ideas, critiques or funny jokes. I'd really like to hear what you think and have a chance to see what you're up to!
Ha! Working on it. This is from a photo my cousin Deb took in her front yard. To the rest of us, its known as Central Park. I have avoided it for a while as its a rather difficult image.
Actually, after 15+ years of commuting along a pretty stretch of highway, I have many landscapes in mind. A series even. While I have done some graphite and watercolor sketches over the years, this is the first since a workshop I did while in high school. That was a long...very long...time ago!
Love those graceful branches and the modern style. I would certainly say this is without doubt a landscape and a darn good one at that! Love your style!
Absolutely Earthula! I say the 'don't do landscapes' slightly in jest. At the core, its all drawing. Whether in paint or pencil or sand or metal or clay the act of drawing is looking deeply at the world (at whatever scale) or the inner vision behind our eyes and recording our investigation in some medium on some surface. I am always a bit quizzical when I hear someone say "I can draw trees, but I haven't yet learned how to do dogs". Or "I like to paint but I hate drawing". The connection has not yet been made.
Kaylyn! Thanks so much for your v kind comment on the blog! How lovely to find you and your excellent paintings. Would be delighted for you to forward my bees to your beekeeping cousin! Your trees remind me so much of the live oaks I drew from the botanical garden here in Orlando.Lovely! You make me want to get the oils out again ! Val
Thanks to all for the nice comments. "without doubt a landscape", "Like the focus and colors that happen in our vision when we blink." and Gaugin? Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment, I really appreciate it. I am open to critique as well, just in case anyone's holding back!!
With this painting I figured since the guy teaching the studio class I'm taking is a fine landscape artist, I ought to give it shot to get the most out of the class as possible. He's had some great comments...most all are focused of value and color. I'm going to put together a slide show/time line of my work since I started painting again last fall. I think that right about the time I started this class a very evident change takes place in the quality of my work. That is exciting...and makes the investment in the class very worthwhile! Painting everyday makes a difference as well.
I agree with the Gaugin comment. The colors remind one of his work. And you certainly know how to paint landscapes. thanks for your kind comments on my blog. Jean
very nice... the movement and colors, comme le Gauguin, and the shady part of the walk.. One can almost smell the earth.
Interesting this blog business...it has just occured to be to look at the comments and other posts... Time is of the essence. in two ways here. that they are still there but unnoticed and the time it takes to look at the back issues.
looks like you did
ReplyDeleteHa! Working on it. This is from a photo my cousin Deb took in her front yard. To the rest of us, its known as Central Park. I have avoided it for a while as its a rather difficult image.
ReplyDeleteActually, after 15+ years of commuting along a pretty stretch of highway, I have many landscapes in mind. A series even. While I have done some graphite and watercolor sketches over the years, this is the first since a workshop I did while in high school. That was a long...very long...time ago!
Love those graceful branches and the modern style. I would certainly say this is without doubt a landscape and a darn good one at that! Love your style!
ReplyDeleteCentral Park is your cousin Deb's front yard!!
ReplyDeleteThis is a splendid view, Kaylyn. Every shot of it looks complete. Like the focus and colors that happen in our vision when we blink.
Sometimes one can see everything as a landscape...it is all just about scale.
Absolutely Earthula! I say the 'don't do landscapes' slightly in jest. At the core, its all drawing. Whether in paint or pencil or sand or metal or clay the act of drawing is looking deeply at the world (at whatever scale) or the inner vision behind our eyes and recording our investigation in some medium on some surface. I am always a bit quizzical when I hear someone say "I can draw trees, but I haven't yet learned how to do dogs". Or "I like to paint but I hate drawing". The connection has not yet been made.
ReplyDeleteKaylyn! Thanks so much for your v kind comment on the blog! How lovely to find you and your excellent paintings. Would be delighted for you to forward my bees to your beekeeping cousin! Your trees remind me so much of the live oaks I drew from the botanical garden here in Orlando.Lovely! You make me want to get the oils out again !
ReplyDeleteVal
This landscape is brilliantly done. It reminds me of Paul Gauguin's landscapes. You have a fine style.
ReplyDeleteThanks to all for the nice comments. "without doubt a landscape", "Like the focus and colors that happen in our vision when we blink." and Gaugin? Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment, I really appreciate it. I am open to critique as well, just in case anyone's holding back!!
ReplyDeleteWith this painting I figured since the guy teaching the studio class I'm taking is a fine landscape artist, I ought to give it shot to get the most out of the class as possible. He's had some great comments...most all are focused of value and color. I'm going to put together a slide show/time line of my work since I started painting again last fall. I think that right about the time I started this class a very evident change takes place in the quality of my work. That is exciting...and makes the investment in the class very worthwhile! Painting everyday makes a difference as well.
I agree with the Gaugin comment. The colors remind one of his work. And you certainly know how to paint landscapes. thanks for your kind comments on my blog.
ReplyDeleteJean
very nice... the movement and colors, comme le Gauguin, and the shady part of the walk.. One can almost smell the earth.
ReplyDeleteInteresting this blog business...it has just occured to be to look at the comments and other posts... Time is of the essence. in two ways here. that they are still there but unnoticed and the time it takes to look at the back issues.
Thannks for this blog post
ReplyDelete