Seems like everyone had a week or so of the doldrums. Funny how that happens whether by moon phase of power of suggestion.
I think a bit of the problem may be information overload. So I spent a good chunk of last week looking through and sorting and culling the huge number of photos I have accumulated for possible painting references. It was very informative.
I've been painting consistently nearly every day for 5 months. Its been an academic process of going through alot of the basic painting concepts and technique. I've done a lot of thinking as to the why's and what's I'm doing. Contemplating the varying levels of realism, thinking a lot about the integral relationship between drawing and painting, looking at artists that set the standard for where I want to be withing the next couple of years.So in looking at all those photographs as a group and as a timeline, saw the changes in what I'm looking for in an image and a definite trend toward the common object veiwed in an uncommon way. I don't think I've come close to tapping out the possibilities there.

The painting shown here is actually one I started over a month ago. It started as a quick sketch and I like the way it was going.
But then it became a bit gooey and I was frustrated with the composition. I set it aside to do the Globes painting and some other work.
I started another similar painting this week and have gotten into glazing and very specific color studies. The glazing means I have time while it dries to work on something else, so I pulled this one out and had a good look at it. I don't recall what I didn't like about the compsition...it looks ok now! So I attacked it this afternoon with the benifit of working on a dry surface...Wow, those bright colors actually didn't sink away into the base of oily goo!I spent about an hour on it...I think I was able to keep the fresh brushwork and drawing quality while taking the whole surface 'up a few notches'.

In case any one was wondering...no, I'm not doing black velvet elvis paintings. I couldn't let the fool's day pass without some silliness!

I think it's beautiful. And isn't it funny how we put a painting away because we are sure it's just horrid and then find it later and think "huh, it's not so bad." ?
ReplyDeleteI'm very impressed with how you're thinking about your paintings and the goals you're setting. I think all your work is lovely and I'm loving the way you handle still life. It's unlike anything I've seen before. :)
An unusual and intriguing composition. I love what you are doing here.
ReplyDeleteAlberto Manguel has a book -Reading Pictures Here is a quote
ReplyDeleteEvery picture tells a story, but it takes an original mind to interpret plot and characters properly.
I love the bouquet of shadow.
um..
The Elvis was a little clearer.
Actually I think the composition is wonderful. With the dramatic lighting, angle of the shadows, swirling ridges on the pot, and tumbled arrangement of the apples, the objects seem extremely active.
ReplyDeleteLots of drama in this painting with its unexpected perspective and bold ligh/shadow pattern. Great!
ReplyDeleteBut, even better, is the note that you've been painting every day for five months. That is no small thing! Keep up the good work, Kaylyn.
Mmmm, it is nice here in this dark mysterious space! I love your shadows which are forms in their own right. The negative spaces are well balanced and the textures very tactile!
ReplyDeleteWonderful painting.
ReplyDeleteIt was worth the time and thought you gave to the creative process with the painting. The final result must be so satisfying to you. And it is interesting to read about it and to see the accompanying images.
ReplyDelete