When preparing these
uncommon views of my common objects, I take many, sometimes a hundred, photos of them in the strong fleeting morning light. Of course out of a hundred there may be four or five worth working with. One which I wrote off because of the lack of strong light kept attracting my eye. It appears misty and the darkness of the pot interiors kept recalling the black hole idea. I did this one quickly yesterday, attempting to invert the foreground/background or positive/negative space, disrupting the perception of depth and reducing the importance of the objects . May continue with it. May call it done.
I found an interview with
Neil Hollingsworth from a few years ago at
Art in the Real World that helped to ease my trepidation about my working from photos. Remnants of my art school education are at odds with the heavy use of photos...wasn't done back then. I think my art education would have been a very different experience had computers and digital cameras been available. We drew on clay tablets or polished slate and made our pigments for cave wall paintings from burned bones of mastadons. Fundamentals, you know?
done!
oh the good old days... Mastadonian burgers..
ReplyDeleteAs ever the light bouncing around or disappearing is delightful.
for me, the upper left side green is a liitle heavy in comparison to the wonder effect of misted edges which look like an effortless brush stroke..but thatjust may be the read on the photo.
Wow! You've been painting up a storm while I was in hibernation. I love the new look of the blog. I am impressed you are taking on the challenge of painting a triptych of that shirt/chemise/blouse. It is a tough subject. I adore the first painting of the four pitchers. The composition left a really interesting negative space. I'm likin' then new one so far because I get to study more of your awesome ability to render pottery so beautifully.
ReplyDeleteI love this vantage point and the vessels seem symbolic --a lot like what you wrote about..you know, possibly knowledge--vessels of knowledge. I love paintings where the viewer sees their own ideas in the painting. ALL your paintings engage the viewer and give them just enough to "go on".
ReplyDelete4 :) 3 large 1 small ....beautiful !
ReplyDeletevery much like! there is more depth in the shadows and sheen on the handles.
ReplyDeleteThe subtle shift of yellow and blue in the background is brilliant.
I have said it before and I will say it again "I love your blog".
ReplyDeleteI knew I couldn't be the only one with an uncommon viewpoint... these are lovely. The relationship between each vessel makes for a very animated scene. Are they jostling for space, arguing over some small family matter?
ReplyDeleteAs for the 'rules' and the old masters... you can bet if Leonardo had a digital camera and a computer, he'd be using it to help create his art every day.
It's a very evocative image.
ReplyDeleteI struggle with the question of photographs too. Natural light is so much more beautiful than artificial light, but it won't hold still. It's like painting live birds.
I've also been finding the digital camera works better than a little cardboard square for finding compositions for plein air paintings.
These overhead views are fascinating, Kaylyn. Great to read your commentary too.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you stopped by my blog so that I could find yours! What a cool perspective you have. Tough perspective. Kudos to you. Great work. Look forward to seeing more.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I really did buy two more cans of cream of mushroom soup yesterday. I don't know?
Wow! I love the perspective and how you indicated the depth of the various pitchers. You have a terrific, thoughtful approach to painting!
ReplyDeleteReally nice composition! Wonderful job on the shadows inside the jar and your style in general is lovely.
ReplyDeletethe blog looks great Kaylyn.
ReplyDeleteI think using photos can be bad and good. If used properly it is a wonderful tool. I think you have used it to your advantage here. Love the spacing and the use of greens.
I do both! work from life and photos at times, sometimes simultaneously! it's a wonderful medley of reference...whatever works, right!
ReplyDeletenice work, and thanks for stopping in...your comment was really a very generous one...I appreciate it! thanks!
ciao bella
happy painting!
creative carmelina
yooooooooo hoooooooooooo where is a new Kaylyn painting? we're ready for one!
ReplyDeleteHello! Your blog grabbed me, as I am also starting to paint again 25 years after getting my BFA. Your work is very strong in technique and design. How many years were you inactive? How long have you been back at it?
ReplyDeleteKaylyn - hello! I wanted to pop by and thank you again for a comment you left on my blog some time ago. In a recent review of my style (see post 'Critial Review') in my contast pull between precision and the painterly your words of advice came to me once again. I've acknowledged this in my latest blog post and included a link to your blog. I just wanted to pop by here and say thank you for taking the time to comment, you've really helped and I'm very grateful. Happy painting and I'm looking forward to seeing more great paintings from you soon!
ReplyDeleteYou've left more good advice on my blog, thank you! Dissatisfaction is a necesary evil as it pushes us forward to greater things. It's ust when it verges on despair that it's bad! I'm feelng better after a good day of painting yesterday :)
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased to hear that you've been working hard and I'm very much looking for to seeing those posts when you have time! Have a great week!
Btw I'll be adding a link to your blog to mine today, people need to see these unique still life compositions.
New, first class, colorfull empty space!
ReplyDeleteCngrts, Willy
WOW
ReplyDeleteVery nice, thanks.
ReplyDeletevery nice. I think you would have to use photos for this view. Very hard to keep the view point the same if doing from life.
ReplyDeleteแนว sixtynine ก็ยังคลาสสิก เว็บนี้มี xxx ครบ แล้ว porn ก็โหลดไวมาก
ReplyDelete